Adult Tantrums

I have a two year old and she is learning her independence. Wanting to get her way, not knowing the full picture. For example, she would like to eat chocolate all the time. She is only looking at the current moment of enjoyment without looking at the bigger picture of her health in the long run. That is my job. I am supposed to guide her decisions, squelch her unhealthy or harmful impulses and redirect her negative energy since I see the bigger role it will play in her life.

Now let us use that example with God. He is our Heavenly Father and we are His children that should turn to Him for direction since He is the one who sees *our* bigger picture. At times, we have been known to have our own tantrums when we don't receive something for reasons beyond our current knowledge.

God is looking for faith in Him. Looking for us to trust Him with our lives and go to Him with a thankful heart ...no matter what we have or don't have. We don't have something for a reason; a spouse, a baby, more money, etc. Whatever we are longing for, we need to understand that there is a reason beyond our current understanding that we need to trust God with.

When we look back at our own lives, we see many examples of this. "I am so glad I didn't ___" or "I guess I am glad that happened since it got me where I am today" or even "That bad thing happened but my heart and faith are stronger for it." Unfortunately we don't live in hindsight as our foresight ...that is what faith in God is for.

Just as my toddler needs to trust my decisions for her, so should we trust in God. He can see far beyond what we could ever imagine or think. His ways our not our own. (Isaiah 55:8)

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge Him,
and He will direct your path.
-Proverbs 3:5-6

To every thing there is a season,
and a time to every purpose under the heaven;

A time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, a time to reap that which is planted;

A time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;

A time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

A time to get, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

A time to rend, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

A time to love, and a time to hate;
a time of war, and a time of peace.

-The Book of Ecclesiastes and The Byrds song 'Turn, Turn, Turn'

2 comments:

Kim said...

So true! I too often go into the mode of "Spoiled Princess Brat Syndrome" instead of just trusting my sweet Heavenly Daddy with His wisdom. Thanks for the reminder! Be blessed!

Kim said...

Thanks for the reminder! I too often get caught up in the "Spoiled Princess Brat Syndrome" when I don't get my way instead of trusting my sweet Heavenly Daddy's wisdom. Be blessed!